The Police May Arrest Someone for Disorderly Conduct When They're Not Being Disorderly

A Charge of Disorderly Conduct or Disorderly Person is a Big Deal

Michigan and most local ordinances have disorderly conduct laws making certain conduct a crime. This conduct includes such as being drunk in public and creating a disturbance or making too much noise. Often times these statutes are used as a "catch-all" offense to deter what officials have decided is obnoxious or unruly behavior. Police will often use a disorderly conduct charge to keep the peace when a person is behaving badly but presents no serious danger.

While most people think a disorderly person or disorderly conduct is no big deal, it could become a big deal when you are applying for a job and it shows up on a background check. So when it comes down to different people applying for the same job,, who is going to get it? The man or woman with the disorderly conduct on their record?

Next time you think it's no big deal, contact Schmierlaw to talk about your options. We may be able to help keep a conviction off your record, so applying for that next job is indeed No Big Deal.

A Conviction has Penalties

Whether you've been accused of disturbing the peace, being drunk in public, or any other behaviors that constitute disorderly conduct, it's important to know the consequences of a plea bargain or criminal conviction. Although these cases rarely rise to the level of felonious conduct, you should understand how being convicted of even a minor misdemeanor can impact you. And while a disorderly conduct or disorderly person charge may seem like no big deal, a conviction could affect your gun rights as well.

An Experienced Criminal Defense Attorney may be able to advise you on the best way to proceed if you have been charged with Disorderly Person or Disorderly Conduct. Although both charges appear similar, they have different collateral damages and can even affect your right to possess a firearm or obtain a Concealed Pistol License (CPL).

Att. Gun People

Sometimes the police or Prosecutor may try to be nice guys and write you up for "disorderly conduct" or "disorderly person" just as a way of mildly punishing you for something you did when you were drunk or just acting like you were. The Prosecutor is trying to give you a good deal, but unwittingly could be affecting your gun rights without either of you knowing it until it is too late. Get help from an attorney who knows Michigan gun laws and how a disorderly person, disorderly conduct and other crimes effect your 2nd Amendment Right to bear arms.

Fighting and Winning a Disorderly Conduct Charge

In some cases, an experience criminal defense attorney can negotiate with the Prosecutor to dismiss the misdemeanor and recharge the accused with a civil infraction. To you this means that there is no misdemeanor record, although, a minor, on your record. This eliminates some embarrassing situations. Depending on the facts and your past record, Schmierlaw can provide you the best defense possible if you are charged with disorderly person, disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace, or disturbing whatever you want to call it, contact Schmierlaw for experienced and winning defense.

For the Best Criminal Defense Possible
Contact Schmierlaw for an Initial No-Cost Consultation

Contact Us for an Initial No-cost Consultation


Law Office of James G. Schmier, PLLC
2222 Attard Street, Birmingham, Michigan 48009
Tel: (248) 705-3742     FAX: (248) 540-0044    Email: