If you Violate Probation, you could face penalties even more severe than the original offense

When a judge sentences you to probation, he expects you to live up to the terms of that probation. And if you violate the judge's orders, think of it as telling the Judge that you are not going to listen to him or her. More than ever, you need an experienced and aggressive Probation Violation Attorney to defend you.

When a judge orders probation, they will typically will require the defendant to report to probation monthly, refrain from any other criminal conduct, abstain from using alcohol or drugs, and be subjected to random drug screens and or alcohol breath tests. In addition, the judge will require the defendant to pay a probation oversight fee which may be as high as $40 per month. It may be less if the defendant can show good cause why it should be lowered. The length of time a judge may impose probation is typically 1 year for misdemeanors but the judge can impose probation for a maximum of 5 years on a felony charge.

(VOP) Violation of Probation Hearing

When a probation violation occurs, the defendant may be ordered to court for a probation violation hearing or VOP hearing. Where, as in a criminal matter, the prosecutor must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant committed a crime, at a VOP hearing, the Prosecutor only has the burden to prove that a probation violation occurred by a preponderance of the evidence or a belief of 51% that the defendant violated probation. So even though you may have committed a crime while on probation and you were not convicted of that crime, you still could found guilty of violating probation.

What the Judge Will Consider at a VOP Hearing

The nature and seriousness of the probation violation

Whether there has been a history of prior violations

Whether the violation included new criminal activity or a failure to pay fines

The recommendation of the probation officer

The circumstances surrounding the violation and other mitigating factors

Reducing the Impact of a Violation

If you have violated probation there are many things you can do to reduce the impact. An experienced probation violation attorney can contact your probation officer and inform him or her of the violation before they learn it on their own. Our office can also recommend certain actions that may convince the prosecutor, your probation agent, or even the judge to give you a second chance.

If the Judge says NO, he means NO

No one, especially a Judge, likes to be told that you are ignoring them. So, in this situation, the Defendant must convince the Judge, that you do take them seriously, that you deserve a second chance, and that the Judge should not terminate probation and put you in jail. This is especially true for those who are on some type of diversion status because if the Judge revokes probation, the original charge will now appear on your criminal record. Schmierlaw can recommend certain actions you can take to convince the Judge that you do take him or her seriously and that the violation was merely a setback.

Contact Schmierlaw to Fight a Probation Violation

When you contact Schmierlaw, we will examine your original case, consider the reasons for the violation and suggest actions you can take to remain on probation by convincing the Judge you are taking him or her seriously. We will also make sure you have contacted your probation officer if you have not already been violated because they should hear it from you rather than reading it on a police report. And if you are on diversion status such as 7411 (possession of controlled substances, 769.41 (domestic violence), HYTA (Holmes Youth Training Act), or deferred sentencing under 771.1, we can suggest strategies to convince the Judge to retain that status.

For the Best Criminal Defense Possible
Contact Schmierlaw for an Initial No-Cost Consultation

Contact Us for an Initial No-cost Consultation


Law Office of James G. Schmier, PLLC
2222 Attard Street, Birmingham, Michigan 48009
Tel: (248) 705-3742     FAX: (248) 540-0044    Email: jschmier@schmierlaw.com